Fiskars Lawnmower Review 2023 – Worth the Money?
Hello and welcome to this review about Fiskars range of hand pushed Reel lawnmowers. These Reel lawnmowers are made by The Fiskars Corporation a global consumer goods company founded in 1649 in Fiskars Village, Finland. Fiskars is best known for its trademark orange-handled iconic scissors, created in 1967. This shade of orange color appears on almost all its products.
Fiskars name is associated with high quality, precision engineering and simplicity. Their design philosophy is the belief that all things, even the simplest, can be made better and smarter. Every tool they make should feel like it was designed for your body, the way you like to work and the activity you love.
From immersive work-along interviews to collaborative ideation and extensive research, they design their products holistically before they create them. They call this philosophy Advanced Human Engineering, and it has made their tools favorites among passionate people around the world. This review will give you a fair idea why you should purchase a Fiskars Hand pushed lawnmower and whether it is what you require for your lawn and for you.
Fiskars Mower Overview:
Helpful Tips and information to note on Fiskars Lawn Mowers:
- The StaySharp Mower features advanced technology that delivers best-in-class cutting performance – no gas, oil, charging or cords required. This advanced design is 60% easier to push than other reel mowers and boasts 2X more cutting power than standard designs. Plus, a StaySharp Cutting System eliminates the cost and inconvenience of manual blade sharpening.
- The cut height can be easily adjusted from 1-4 inch, inset wheels enable ultra-close edging and one-touch handle height adjustment improves comfort and control. In addition, a reversible grass chute can be positioned to direct clippings forward, away from your feet, or backward and downward, making it easier to mow tough patches while limiting messiness. The StaySharp Mowers is ideal for all grass types, even tough southern varieties like St. Augustine, Zoysia, Bahia and Bermuda.
- Why you should buy a manual lawnmower? Well reel mowers aren’t only good for the earth; they’re good for your lawn and community too. In addition to eliminating the need for gasoline or electricity, they also make clean, healthy cuts and are nearly silent.
- The StaySharp Max includes a chain-drive design for optimized reel speed and heavier no-contact blades for improved inertia and less friction. These unique features make it 60% easier to push than other reel mowers. InertiaDrive technology features a large-diameter cutting reel and thicker blades, resulting in double the cutting power. This added strength allows you to easily rip through weeds and tougher spots.
- Unlike traditional reel mowers, the precision-ground blades and stationary reel of the StaySharp Cutting System never make contact, which dramatically extends sharpness and makes mowing easier. Inset wheels and blades that extend across the full width of the mower help you to avoid the frustration of missed strips and tricky edges next to sidewalks, fences and foundations. The StaySharp Max can be easily tailored to your lawn and preferences. Adjust its grass cut height from 1-4 inch, shift the handle height for comfort and change the direction of grass clippings in an instant.
- Look at the specifications and your requirements and see for yourself, which is the model best suited for you and your garden.
Some Common Questions about Fiskars Lawn Mowers
- Question: Do any reel mowers cut on the backstroke?
- Answer: The backstroke does not power the blades, but the spinning blade cage could have enough momentum to still be spinning during a short part of the backstroke. However, the bottom blade may be in the wrong orientation to catch many of the grass blades.
- Question: Any recommendations on a reel mower for someone who is very tall?
- Answer: I think the mower would work fine for someone quite tall. There are several mounting positions for the handlebar.
- Question: Do you have to sharpen the blades periodically? If so how often?
- Answer: You do not have to. But you can buy the sharpening kit as well.
- Question: Does the Staysharp Reel Lawn mower come assembled?
- Answer: No, but is very easy to assemble. Anyone should be able to do it!
- Question: Can a bagger be added to this reel mower?
- Answer: The only model that has a bag available is the Staysharp Max.
- Question: How many blades are there?
- Answer: There are 5 blades in the mower.
- Question: Can this mower cut grass as short as a putting green?
- Answer: With the right kind of grass, yes. The ground has to be perfectly smooth and the grass even and consistent.
- Question: Can the blades be sharpened?
- Answer: Yes, the blades can be sharpened though the design reduces the need to do so more than once every few years.
- Question: Do the blades have to be adjusted i.e., out of the box, or adjusted when needed?
- Answer: No. They do not need to be adjusted right out of the box.
- Question: To use this mower on very sandy soil, do you think there would be a problem with the wheels ‘digging in’, making it hard to push?
- Answer: No, as long as it isn’t loose sandy soil. It will dig in a little bit turning at the end of a row if the soil is wet.
- Question: Would this mower work okay on a slightly bumpy and uneven yard?
- Answer: Yes because its width is small enough to manoeuvre around.
Best Reel Mower in 2023 | Top 5 Best Reel Mowers Buying Guide
Fiskars Reel Mower Models Reviewed:
1, Fiskars StaySharp Push Reel Mower Model : 362080 18 inch
- You will be proud to own the Fiskars StaySharp Reel Mower. It combines amazing technology with superior ergonomics to deliver best-in-class cutting performance. You need not to worry about gasoline, oil, charging, the hassle of cords or the noise created by other mowers. Since you push is yourself, it burns your calories, a great way to stay fit.
- It features an InertiaDrive™ Reel and you will get 50% more cutting power than standard reel mowers. With StaySharp™ Cutting System you will eliminate the cost and inconvenience of annual blade sharpening. The combination of these technologies makes the StaySharp™ Reel Mower 30% easier to push than other reel mowers, helping you get more done with less effort.
- The Smart design of this eco-friendly reel mower offers you a cleaner cut and keeps your lawn in spick and span condition without any hassles. A combination of advanced technologies makes the StaySharp™ Reel Mower 30% easier for you to push than other reel mowers. InertiaDrive™ Reel delivers 50% more cutting power to blast through twigs, weeds and tough spots that would jam other reel mowers.
- Exclusive StaySharp™ Cutting System uses precision-ground, hardened steel blades to cut your grass without touching, greatly reducing friction and blade wear for long-lasting performance without costly annual blade sharpening. Though competitive reel mowers struggle with certain types of grass, the superior cutting system of this reel mower cuts all common residential grasses, even tough southern varieties like St. Augustine, Zoysia, Bahia and Bermuda. It has a 18 width of cutting blade for a wider area of coverage, helping you get more done with less effort.
- StaySharp comes of out of the box unassembled, so you have to do a little assembly before you can start to use it. It is quite simple and everything is explained in the include video. You can do it easily.
- The StaySharp™ Reel Mower will rarely need any maintenance but, if by any unforeseen circumstances you need it, then for your peace of mind it comes with a limited two-year warranty.
- The Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Push Reel Lawn Mower is the most economical of all the models of Fiskars Push Lawnmowers, so it is a great machine for first time buyers.
- It is very easy to operate and gives a very even finish to your lawn. It turns your yard work into a light workout and that is an invaluable side benefit.
- Many people appreciate how quiet it is to operate, so you will not disturb your neighbours. Fine grasses like Zoysia and Bermuda should be cut low and with a reel mower instead of a rotary mower and for this Staysharp is a very good machine.
- The benefits of a reel mower are numerous. the blades get a cleaner cut than rotary mowers, so no brown tips on your grass. Not only it works efficiently but it is also very aesthetically designed and looks good.
- The Fiskars has more plastic but it is in nonessential components, like the front housing, which is more for appearance. You will require some assembly and will need a wrench to put on and tighten the nuts.
- Fiskars is much heavier than other similar machines. The machine requires physical effort, while it is good for health, if you are otherwise healthy however, If you have any sort of physical ailment, then you should skip this product and order a powered mower.
- Fiskars push mower cut the stiff grass very well, but the slim-bladed, soft Fescue-style grass tended to lay down in front of it.
2, Fiskars 17 Inch StaySharp Plus Reel Mower 362070
- This is an improved model called The StaySharp™ Plus Reel Mower. You will appreciate the amazing technology with superior ergonomics to deliver best-in-class cutting performance without gasoline, oil, charging, the hassle of cords or the noise created by other mowers. It features an InertiaDrive™ Reel for 75% more cutting power for you than standard reel mowers; StaySharp™ Cutting System to eliminate the cost and inconvenience of your annual blade sharpening routine; and a unique grass discharge shoot that throws clippings forward cleanly, away from your feet.
- The combination of these technologies makes the StaySharp™ Plus Reel Mower 40% easier to push than other reel mowers, helping you get more done with less effort. The Smart design of this eco-friendly reel mower offers a cleaner cut efficiently and effectively.
- A combination of advanced technologies make the StaySharp™ Plus Reel Mower 40% easier to push than other reel mowers InertiaDrive™ Reel delivers 75% more cutting power to blast through twigs, weeds and tough spots that would jam other reel mowers. Exclusive StaySharp™ Cutting System uses precision-ground, hardened steel blades to cut grass without touching, greatly reducing friction and blade wear for long-lasting performance without costly annual blade sharpening.
- Unique grass discharge chute throws clippings forward cleanly, away from your feet. It cuts all grass types, even the tough southern varieties like St. Augustine, Zoysia, Bahia and Bermuda. It has a 17 width of cutting blade for a wider area of coverage, helping you get more done with less effort.
- The StaySharp™ Reel Mower will rarely need any maintenance but, if by any unforeseen circumstances you need it, then it comes with a limited two-year warranty.
- The Fiskars 17 Inch Staysharp Plus Reel Lawn Mower is the mid-range model of Fiskars Push Lawnmowers. It is a lot easier to push than older more traditional push mowers. It cuts very well, even with the crap grass it gives a very even finish to your lawn. It turns your yard work into a light workout and that is an invaluable side benefit.
- Effortless and quiet mowing, easy height adjustment, no grass throwback on one’s ankles, and it trims lawns beautifully. The benefits of a reel mower are numerous. the blades get a cleaner cut than rotary mowers, so no brown tips on your grass.
- It ejects the cut grass forward; it mulches the cut grass more finely, better fertilizing the lawn. It was very easy to assemble with no special tools being necessary. The assembly instructions are superb.
- Any twigs thicker than a match, will hinder the mowing process: While the thinnest twigs do snap under the spinning blades, many of the thicker branches will stop the blades from spinning.
- This mower is perfect for very small lawns. If the ground is uneven then it is even harder to use. The wheels wobble and it is hard to push.
- Also the blades needs constant adjustment. The grass clippings are thrown in front of the mower, not behind you like a regular mower. So if you get a clump of grass, you’ve got to mow it twice. Also, it leaves unsightly grass clumps on the sidewalk since it throws the clippings forward.
3, Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Max Reel Mower 326050
- The StaySharp™ Max Reel Mower is the top of the line machine from Fiskar. It combines advanced technology with superior ergonomics to deliver you the best-in-class cutting performance – no gas, oil, charging or cords required. An InertiaDrive™ Reel boasts twice the cutting power of standard reel mowers, while a StaySharp™ Cutting System eliminates the cost and inconvenience of manual blade sharpening. VersaCut™ Technology makes it easy to adjust cut height to mow all types of grass cleanly.
- It has a unique Inset wheel design allows the blades to extend across the full width of the mower to eliminate uncut strips under the wheels and edge closer to foundations, fences and borders than other reel mowers. A very convenient One-touch handle allows you to make height adjustment and enhances your comfort and control while mowing. Plus, a reversible grass chute can be positioned to direct clippings forward, away from your feet, or backward and downward, making it easier to mow tough patches while limiting messiness. All of these great features combine for a reel mower that’s 60% easier to push.
- Ideal for eco-friendly cutting of all grass types, even tough southern varieties like St. Augustine, Zoysia, Bahia and Bermuda. Advanced design is 60% easier to push than other reel mowers. InertiaDrive™ reel delivers twice the cutting power to glide through tough spots that would jam other reel mowers. StaySharp™ cutting system cuts without unwanted contact, greatly reducing wear for long-lasting performance without costly annual blade sharpening.
- Patent-pending VersaCut Technology offers cut height settings from 1–4 inch to provide best-in-class cutting, even when you’ve missed a week of mowing, plus one-touch height adjustment for comfortable use. Inset wheels allow the blades to extend across the mower’s full width, eliminating uncut strips and edges near foundations and fences. Reversible grass chute can direct clippings forward, away from your feet, or backward and downward, making it easier to mow tough patches while limiting messiness.
- You can large areas of grass with its 18 cut width. This machine comes with a limited 3-year warranty.
- The Fiskars Staysharp MAX Lawn Mower is the top of the line model of Fiskars Push Lawnmowers. It is a lot easier to push than older more traditional push mowers. It cuts very well; even with the crap grass it gives a very even finish to your lawn. It turns your yard work into a light workout and that is an invaluable side benefit.
- Is it easy to adjust the cut height? Yes, just reach down and adjust a knob on the right side. It’s not even hard to move the knob! It literally takes about 3 seconds. Is the handle comfortable? Yes! The design allows you to hold it in various different ways. For some people the vertical part of the handle is much more natural, comfortable and surprisingly, less fatiguing than a horizontal handle.
- It is very easy to assemble, however you would need have the right wrench, it shouldn’t take more than about 5 or 10 minutes to assemble. Adjusting the blades takes another five minutes. The assembly instructions are very good. Do the blades stay sharp? Yes. This mower will only require sharpening every 5 to 10 years.
- You’ll find patches randomly that you need to go back over and it can clog with its own clippings since it pushes them forward. If the ground is uneven then it is even harder to use. The wheels wobble and it is hard to push.
- Also the blades need constant adjustment. The grass clippings are thrown in front of the mower, not behind you like a regular mower. So if you get a clump of grass, you’ve got to mow it twice. Inconsistent cutting at higher height settings.
- It misses grass enough to be noticeable. Also, it leaves unsightly grass clumps on the sidewalk since it throws the clippings forward.
- Front wheels squeak sometimes.
A Quick Comparison Table is outlined below:
If you believe that perhaps this Reel Mower is not for you, then take a quick look at some of the alternative Reel Mowers which are available at lower below. Click any model image to compare further…
Fiskars Momentum: The Eco-Friendly Push Reel Lawn Mower
Fiskar is a great company and makes highest quality precision equipment and tools. It is known all over the world for its quality and reliability. The StaySharp Reel Mower is a great line of Push Lawnmowers which although more expensive than the competitors, still manage to capture the market due its performance, precision and reliability.
Its patented features such InertiaDrive for twice the cutting power of standard reel mowers; StaySharp Cutting System to eliminate the cost and inconvenience of annual blade sharpening and VersaCut Technology for easy cut height adjustment to provide a clean cut on any type of grass make them very popular among lawn owners.
The combination of these technologies makes the StaySharp Mowers many times easier to push than other reel mowers, helping you get more done with less effort. So go ahead choose a model that suits you and you will not be disappointed. Finally, I would like to thank you for reading this review, I hope it was useful to help you in choosing your Reel lawnmower and please share with the community your own experiences of reel mowers by leaving a comment below.
Further Reel Mower reviews can also be viewed if interested as follows:
- Best US Reel Mowers – Compilation Review – Take a look here
- Greenworks 20 Inch Reel Mower 25072 Review – Take a look here
- Remington 18 Inch Reel Push Mower Review – Take a look here
Fiskars® Momentum™ Reel Mower Review: Part 1
Since attending the Garden Writers Association Symposium in late September, I’ve wanted to get a new Fiskars® Momentum™ Reel Mower to try out on my own lawn.
I first saw this mower from above as I entered the trade show. There it is, in the lower right hand corner of the picture. And guess who is standing there looking at it?
Yes, me. I sent out a note to a few people I knew who had attended the symposium and asked them if they had a picture showing the trade show from above and someone sent me this one. Imagine my surprise when I looked more closely and saw that I was in the picture.
I should note that I did not spend my entire time at the trade show admiring this new mower. Just part of the time. But I will admit that I did ask if I could get one to review. I told them how I tweet via when I mow. I showed them my avatar on my iPhone, the one of the lady in the white dress mowing with a reel mower. And others vouched for my character and confirmed my reputation as a gardener who mows her lawn and enjoys doing it.
Finally after a few emails back and forth, it arrived on my doorstep on Wednesday, Nov. 25th.
It’s like Christmas, one month early.
So while most everyone else spent Thanksgiving morning cooking, I spent it putting this new mower together.
But I didn’t spend quite all morning putting it together. To say that would be a bit of an exaggeration. It only took about 15 minutes and one wrench to put the handle together with four bolts and then attach the handle to the mower part with two cotter pins. And I didn’t even have instructions since this one is a demo unit. It is obvious how to put it together and easy to do, too, with just one person and one wrench.
The mower has arrived just in time because the mowing season is sadly coming to an end here in central Indiana. I will mow tomorrow, likely the last time I mow this season, when it is supposed to be sunny and 55 F.
And I will mow with the Fiskars® Momentum™ Reel Mower.
… and so am I.
Комментарии и мнения владельцев
I don’t know of anyone who has wanted a garden tool so badly or one who mows so often. The two of you are gonna bond in style. It looks lightweight and easy to use. Not like the one I used back in the 50’s on my grandma’s lawn. Congrats to you!
If I was looking for a mower I would get one like this. I like the fact it is quiet and uses no fossil fuels. I don’t have a traditional lawn I have a clover lawn. I Whack it back once a year in mid-late Summer. I use a noisy, fossil fuel burning weed whacker. If this mower could be raised high enough to mow my clover at a height of at least 6 inches I might consider buying it. Although I’ve had the noisy weed whacker for for over 15 years and it still works. Maybe when it breaks irrevocably I could replace it with this.
It looks very cool! I have an old reel mower that is past its shelf life. If this one performs as good as it looks, I might have to get one.
Good for you, Carol – you sound like the perfect person to test the Fiskars Reel mower! But oh, how I’d love to suggest to Fiskars that since you’ll be pushing a reel mower, you should dress like your icon and put it on video ;-] Annie at the Transplantable Rose
That is a handsome mower, Carol. I’ll admit, the first thing I thought when I read you were in the overview photo is Huh, probably not a surprise! Hah! Let the mowing begin! Robin
Carol, it doesn’t surprise me to see you in that picture! You visited that mower more than once and I think you lingered a little longer with it each time. I’ll look forward to hearing about its maiden voyage!
While you were unpacking your brightly colored reel mower, I was buying one in a thrift shop – well, mine isn’t exactly bright. I was so excited to find it and have given it a spin around. I’m sure mine doesn’t perform at all as well as your handsome looking fiskar, but I’m excited about it anyway. Mowing without the noise and exhaust – the way it should be!
I had fun looking through that photo for other people I know as well. As for the mower, Dee said it best.
I’ll be anxious to hear your results. I too love to mow and do so 2x a week in the spring and fall and usually 1x a week in the summer. Indy is flat, we are kinda hilly. Our hill is what has stopped me from looking into it. When you are mowing, can you imagine if you were going up hills?
Neat! I’d love to hear how well it works. Especially for trimming aorunf shrubs, sidewalks and border areas.
wow, it sure is a beauty!! THis is what I’d want to know – how quickly do the blades get dull? Shoud you sharpen and properly care for the blades with each and every use? WILL you sharpen and properly care for the blades with each and every use? Enjoy!!
It sure is a cute little thing. I hope it works on your garden as you expect it to. I think it is just meant to be since you have a picture of yourself admiring the thing before it even gets to your garden. It must have been love at first sight.
It is fate, Carol. And how appropo that you’d be standing there in your lovely signature green shirt, too. When I first glanced at the right corner, I knew you were the one in green! Happy mowing today – we have frost this morning and 29 — so I suspect you might be mowing a little later on!
Carol I know that was exciting to receive. I love Fiskars garden tools did not know they had a lawn mower congrats!
I would have recognized you in that photo even if you hadn’t pointed it out, Carol! This mower looks like the perfect fit for you; now all you need is the dress and cap, and you’re ready for a new avatar photo showing the real you:)
Another important factor is that the Fiskars Momentum reel mower is much quieter than other reel mowers. Everyone assumes that reel mowers are quiet, but many are loud as the blades come together. The Fiskars VersaCut design keeps the noise to a minimum.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.